Italian Muffuletta with Hot Pickled Peppers
total time25 minutes
- 1 cup pitted olives, chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced shallots
- 1 tbsp. minced celery
- ½ cup roasted red pepper strips
- 2 tbsp. capers, rinsed, dried, and chopped
- 2 Italian hot pickled peppers (pepperoncini or giardiniera), chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 round loaf focaccia or Italian bread
- 4 oz. sliced Carando® Capicola
- 4 oz. sliced Carando® Mortadella
- 4 oz. sliced Carando® Soppressata
- 4 oz. sliced provolone cheese
1. Combine olives, shallot, celery, red peppers, capers, hot peppers and olive oil in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Season to taste with vinegar, salt, and pepper.
2. Slice bread lengthwise in half. Use fork to scoop out soft bread from each half, leaving a ½-inch shell.
3. Spoon olive salad into both bread halves. Layer capicola, mortadella, soppressata and cheese over bottom half of bread.
4. Cover with remaining top slice of bread. Slice into four wedges and serve immediately, or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving.