Lasagna ala Tuscany
total time135 minutes
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. Carando® Toscano Ground Sausage
- ½ lb. ground sirloin beef
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onions
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup no salt added chicken stock
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (2 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
1. To make béchamel sauce, melt butter over medium heat in 4-quart stock pot. Stir in flour; cook and stir 2 minutes making sure flour doesn’t get brown. Slowly whisk in milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened and just starts to simmer. Remove from heat; let stand at room temperature.
2. To make pasta sauce, sauté onions, carrots, celery and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add sausage and beef; cook until browned. Add wine and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, except noodles and cheese; simmer 30 minutes or until desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
3. Heat oven to 375° F. Spoon about 1 cup tomato sauce into bottom of 13x9x2-inch pan. Top with 4 lasagna noodles. Spread half of the remaining pasta sauce and half the béchamel sauce over noodles. Sprinkle 1 ½ cups mozzarella over the top. Repeat layers with remaining noodles, sauces and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan over top.
4. Cover pan with foil and bake at 375° F. for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes until cheese is slightly browned on top.