Calabrese Tortellini Soup
total time90 minutes
serves10 - 14
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. Carando® Abruzzese Italian Style Meatballs*
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 1 (32-oz.) box no salt added beef stock
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- 1 ½ cups sliced zucchini
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Crumble meatballs and cook in 6-quart stockpot over medium-high heat until well browned. Add onion, carrot and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
2. Stir in beef stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, water basil and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add remaining ingredients; simmer an additional 30 minutes. If desired, serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Leftovers freeze well.
*For an extra kick, use Carando Sicilian Italian Style Meatballs